Lots of fun last night at the Barrymore. Bon Iver was definitely happy to be back home in Wisconsin and the crowd was happy to entertain. Below are my 7 highlights from the night, all photos by Ed Oliver.
7 Highlights/Reflections/Remembrances of Bon Iver + The Tallest Man On Earth in Madison
1. The Tallest Man On Earth – Everyone was in place early last night. Everyone got turned onto the awesomeness that is Kristian Matsson aka The Tallest Man On Earth. A great performer, a great musician. Ended his set with a Son House cover. So good.
MP3: The Tallest Man On Earth – “Pistol Dreams”
2. “Beach Baby” – The Bon Iver set began with this new one from the Blood Bank EP. This one rivals “Blood Bank” as a favorite of mine of the new material. Both were absolutely huge live.
3. Blood Bank EP on vinyl – So nice to be able to get this four-song gem on wax. Picked up a copy for myself and some additional ones for friends.
4. “Creature Fear” – Was the absolute pinnacle for me. Hairs on the back of my neck were all at attention by the end of this song. One of the strongest and hardest-hitting musical memories ever.
5. “Your Love” – I almost wish I hadn’t seen and heard their cover of The Outfield’s “Your Love” before going into the show. It was gorgeous and so fun to watch and listen as everyone began to realize what they were hearing and singing along.
6. “For Emma” – Justin described writing the song in one sitting after family members (who were in the audience) had come to visit him at his now infamous cabin in the Wisconsin woods.
7. Bus not a Van – The guys left Madison en route back to their hometown of Eau Claire in a bus, not a van. Really nice to see such great representatives of Wisconsin making it.
Discuss: Leave your thoughts and reviews in the comments. Did you like the new material?